Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture is one of my most favourite anti-aging treatments. It is 100% natural and works both externally and internally to optimize your health, reduce stress and simultaneously enhance the appearance and glow of your skin. If you have never experienced it, you are probably wondering what it is all about. As far as anti-aging goes, it is a gentle, subtle and health promoting alternative to many of the mainstream facial injectables or fillers and a wonderful approach to embracing age with grace. Paired with a healthy lifestyle, it is both preventative as well as corrective and takes into account root imbalances of the body in order to slow (and even reverse) signs of aging. Your skin and overall health will love you for it. Biological age is simply an increasing number. Physiological age or how old a person seems, on the other hand, is well within your reach to create lasting results.
My love affair for this treatment flourished when I rounded the corner of my 40’s and decided that I wanted to approach the next stage of change naturally. I continue to see firsthand results of the effect it has on my skin as well as my overall health and love seeing the individualized results with each of my patients, some of whom are as young as 14 years of age and battling teenage acne. Optimal prevention of aging skin begins in our 20’s when collagen production is robust. As we get older, our bodies begin a decline in collagen production faster than we can produce it and this becomes even more evident by the time we are in our 40’s. The aim of Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture is not to eradicate lines and wrinkles, but rather to improve skin health, stimulate collagen and elasticity, gently firm and tone skin while rebalancing circulation and hydration levels.
How does Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture Work?
This treatment combines the wisdom of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture and its concept of whole-body health with specialized facial needling techniques, in order to lift (think sag and jowls), tone, tighten, reduce fine lines, soften deeper wrinkles, improve areas of pigmentation and acne, reduce inflammation, soothe irritation and calm redness.
Ultra-fine intradermal needles are gently inserted into the skin at strategic points on the face in order to trigger small traumas that elicit a healing cascade in the region. In response to this trauma, the body increases circulation along with the production of fibroblasts, collagen and elastin to the area. Noticeable changes begin to occur as this response is repeated over a series of treatments and a more youthful glow begins to arise.
On a deeper level, our vital energy flows within meridian lines which are linked to our internal organs. Acupuncture points are strategically selected along these meridians to improve the flow of energy upwards to the face and within the entire body in order to optimize and moderate digestive function, eliminations, sleep, stress levels, hormonal fluctuations, inflammation and to strengthen the immune system. Because of this internal balancing effect on the whole body and how it is manifest on our outer shell, or our complexion, it is said frequently in our practice that Acupuncture is one of the original fountains of youth.
What to Expect from a Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture Session:
After an initial intake and constitutional assessment at your first session, treatment begins with a facial cleansing, gentle insertion of acupuncture needles in the face and body, followed by a relaxing rest while the needles do their work. Once needles are removed, the face is then stimulated by massage, gentle cupping and/or gua sha. Natural Osmosis skin care products are used and are a clinic favourite. Results are cumulative and best achieved by receiving a course of treatments over a shorter period of time, the length of which is dependent on your goals and what you would like to achieve.
Important Lifestyle Factors to Consider to Bolster your Physiological Age:
Diet and Physical:
- Good health depends on good quality AND quantity of sleep.
- Exercise helps you maintain a healthy body weight, improves circulation and supports the lymphatic system.
- Hormone balance is key. Naturmend Naturopaths are ready to assess your specific hormonal needs.
- Limit processed foods, sugars, refined carbohydrates and saturated fats. Visit the clinic’s Holistic Nutritional Consultant Ralitza to build your anti-aging foundation.
- Avoid caffeine especially if you are experiencing dry skin, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Alcohol and sugar contribute to the sag. Enough said!
- Keep a consistent skin care routine with high quality products. Try our natural Osmosis skincare line and pair your Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture sessions with rejuvenating Osmosis Facials (by our Holistic Skincare Specialist Meaghan S.) for the ultimate skincare combination.
Mental and Spiritual:
- Emotional stress is a major component of physiological aging. Did you know that your face is a map of your life experiences or that longstanding grief, sadness, anger and worry (just to name a few) appear in certain patterns on your face? Holding unresolved or repressed emotions will accelerate aging. Mindful processing of emotion is good for our health and our appearance. Integrate sessions of HeartMath, Clinical Counselling or Psychology at Naturmend for a truly holistic approach to anti-aging.
- Avoid chemicals, toxins, radiation exposure and pollution. Cigarette smoke (smoking and secondhand exposure) is the number one culprit for accelerated aging!
Why Choose Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture?
Our clocks may inevitably tick but it doesn’t mean we have to let that dictate how we look and feel. I support doing our best to embrace the healing power and wisdom of the body, supporting it with the fuel and tools with which to do so and love to choose treatments that support a holistic picture of health. There is something for nearly everyone with this little gem of a treatment.
Our Registered Acupuncturist and Doctor of TCM Vanessa Pettit has a focus on aligning the physical and emotional well-being of her patients. She has a keen interest in whole body rejuvenation and healthy aging from the inside out. She is a strong advocate for stress reduction and proper nutrients in order to improve immunity, sleep, energy, hormones, fertility and digestive functions. You can read more about Vanessa here.