I don’t know about you, but I normally take to Instagram to see what people are eating these days. I scroll through pages and pages of simple and nutritious meals prettily packaged in perfect little containers. As a Holistic Nutrition Consultant, it’s super exciting! I feel totally fired up to create some magic of my own. However, when I go to prep my own meals, something different happens. My excitement wanes, my meals don’t look nearly as appetizing as the ‘gram and if I just know if I have to eat chicken for another two days in a row, I’m going to go stark raving mad! Cue these tips – five simple and effective approaches to meal planning that help take what can be a dull and intimidating task to a whole other level.
- Get inspired! Spend an hour or so a week looking through your favourite blogs, Instagram or Pinterest. See what meals are sticking out to you. Do you think that curried cauliflower recipe looks delicious? Save it somewhere it’s accessible to you! I like to create Bookmarks on the main page of my iPhone so that I’m not hunting around for the recipe I want later. If you prefer hard-copy, make a sticky note of the full recipe name and website so you can easily find it later. Remember, food is SUPPOSED to be fun as it gives you a unique opportunity to shower your body with appreciation and love. Stop eating boring food!
- Take cues from your calendar. Take a look at your social calendar, engagements and flow of your week to decide exactly what meals you’ll need to create on your own. For example, do you have lunch business meetings on Thursday and Friday? Great! Don’t prep for those days. Yes, this tip may seem redundant, but you would be shocked at how helpful this is in meal planning and in reducing food waste.
- Beautiful Batches. Choose a couple of larger staple dishes and utilize them throughout the week. Some of my favourites for this are slow cooker chicken and bone broth. Really, any protein is a big one. I tend to find it a lot easier to prepare a couple of pieces of high-quality meat in a recipe I know and love and mix and match with vegetable recipes. It’s a lot easier than scrambling to prepare meat every day or dreading coming home to tackle that turkey breast.
- Eat seasonal! Seasonal food tends to be cheaper, plentiful and will encourage you to attune to the natural flow of the province or city you live in. It’s also a great way to encourage consumption of food that is typically the cleanest. This food is often times picked at the peak of freshness. Because it doesn’t travel far to reach you, the nutritional value is normally quite high. Incorporating seasonal foods into your meal prep will ensure that you have the widest nutritional variety.
- Terrific Themes. Having a theme night will help you immensely in creatively planning for your week ahead. Make Monday’s “Meatless Monday”. Have you ever heard of “Taco Tuesday”? Having these themes will allow you to wrap your brain around meals and make it way less intimidating. Plus, it can be fun to stick to a theme and especially if you have little ones, it’s a great way to be get them involved in conceptualizing food and helping pick out meals. Plus, having a theme will likely have you get comfortable with a few staple recipes.
There you have it, my 5 tips for epic meal planning! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.