Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centers through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the third eye chakra!
Name: Third Eye Chakra – Anja
Physical Location: Eyes, base of skull, brow. Governs the endocrine gland.
Mantra: Om (emphasize is on the “mmm” sound, the seed sound of the third eye chakra).
Function: Gateway to higher levels of consciousness, integration of the masculine and feminine energies. Combines knowing, acting and feeling. The energy of consciousness and spirituality.
Parts of the body: Between the eyebrows, above the bottom of the nose
Emotions: Intuition, Wisdom, Knowing & Connection
Celestial Body: Saturn, Moon
Weakness in the Third Eye Chakra looks like: Rationality is the name of the game. You may askew all forms of intuition or meditation. It makes you nervous when others around you say that they “just know” something. How can this be if it is not seen? You have rigid internal walls. You struggle with ego or may feel depressed. The outside world lacks interest to you, and you may be radically self-obsessed. If your third eye chakra is too open, you may have extreme mood swings. You struggle to see the bigger picture and get way too wrapped up in the minuscule details. You may have anxiety, paranoia or headaches. Creativity is foreign to you. You can either be seen as arrogant and egotistical or dreamy and ungrounded. Physically, there are often issues with sinuses and eye problems, including poor vision. You may also have headaches that seem to occur even when there is no known trigger.
- What is my purpose here?
- What do I believe in?
- Do I trust my gut feelings?
- Am I a spiritual person?
- How good is my dream recall?
- Do I feel fear when thinking about spirituality?
- When I’ve honoured my gut feeling, what happened?
- When I’ve dishonoured my gut feeling, what happened?
- How open am I to other world viewpoints?
- What or whom am I judging right now?
- Can I release that judgement to have a more balanced viewpoint?
Foods to nourish the third eye chakra: As the third eye chakra governs MINDFUL and INTUITIVE eating, any steps that you can take to tune in to what your body needs in a particular moment will also activate the third eye chakra. That being said, there are specific foods you can eat to activate this chakra. Cacao contains beautiful antioxidants that causes a release of serotonin, which improves blood flow to the brain. As the color for the third eye chakra is indigo, purple foods can be very helpful. Grapes, eggplant, purple kale, blueberries, purple sweet potatoes and blackberries can all help. Omega 3 rich foods like salmon, walnuts and avocado can also assist as they give the brain a much-needed boost. Ample water intake will help to move stagnancy in the body, both physical and energetic.
Affirmation: “I listen to my deepest wisdom. I am intuitive and connected to the deepest aspects of myself. I am open to inspiration and bliss. My life unfolds beautifully. I am the source of truth and love.”
Other healing actions to take:
- MEDITATE! This is the quickest way to connect.
- Read a book, listen to a podcast or watch a movie that represents a viewpoint exactly opposite from you. This will encourage you to become more “open-minded”.
- Get outside into the sunlight. As the third eye can govern both light and darkness, it’s so important to make sure that you are getting ample sources of light.
- Stop messing around with your circadian rhythm! As the third eye chakra governs the pineal gland, you need to respect your natural sleep-wake cycles. This means limiting or eliminating the use of sleep aids and – yes – caffeine!
- Hum or chant OM.
- Reflect on your life. Keep a completely private journal and use that time as time to connect with yourself.
- Jot down your dreams as soon as you wake up. Try running them through an online dream generator.
- Calm and harness your energy with yoga.
- Wear Indigo.
- Buy indigo flowers such as Iris’s, bellflowers and dessert bluebells.
- Meditate on a deep indigo light. Position it in the middle of your forehead. Stay there for two minutes then have it clear away – we aren’t trying to open the third eye chakra too deeply.
What does a balanced third eye chakra look like? You have a beautiful ability to see deeply into your own heart and soul and are easily able to connect to your innate, intuitive wisdom. You are able to see how we are all intrinsically connected, and this knowing helps you navigate through life. You trust your intuition and you reap tremendous benefit for tuning in. You have an awareness and understanding that sets the stage for a rich and powerful spiritual foundation. You are able to tap into your intuitive body and you serve yourself from that place. It is said that awakening this third eye is the first step to developing psychic sight in all its forms. You find beauty in all things.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.