Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centers through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the throat chakra!
Name: Throat Chakra – Vishuddha
Physical Location: Located in the neck and the throat
Function: Expression, Emotional Honesty, Communication and connection, Creating movement in projects, Speaking your truth, Being heard, Listening
Parts of the body: Covers the ears, mouth, and the thyroid gland in the endocrine system, jaws, tongue and upper palette of the mouth
Emotions: Expression, Truth-Seeking, Actualization of Ideas, Decisiveness, Creative Manifestation
Celestial Body: Mercury
Weakness in the Throat Chakra looks like: You struggle to speak up. When you are feeling emotional, you have a lump in your throat. When you are starting to get sick, you first feel it in your throat as that proverbial scratchy feeling. You may have issues with your thyroid. You often lose your voice when ill. You may speak without thinking or others have accused you of being a gossip. There is a fear of being rejected or a fear of speaking your truth. Expression comes in a critical way – both towards self and others. You may be told you speak too much or you use your words inappropriately. You feel blocked creatively and aren’t always able to actualize your projects. On the flip side, you may be secretive, shy or quiet. Telling lies or not being able to keep your word can greatly undermine the integrity of your throat chakra. There can be consistent problems with sinuses.
- Do I speak my truth?
- What story do I want to tell the world in 2019?
- How can I best serve others with my voice?
- Do I use my words to hurt or heal?
- Am I able to express myself creatively?
- Would I consider myself a gossip?
- What subjects am I anxious to talk about?
- How can I be even clearer when communicating?
- Am I being integral with my word?
- How can I strengthen my voice?
- Am I comfortable singing or humming aloud?
- Who in my life do I struggle to communicate with?
Foods to nourish you: Think of foods that are a lovely blue-purple. Blueberries and blackberries can be extremely nourishing for the throat chakra and can assist with bringing in a much-needed antioxidant boost. You can also use blue grapes or currants. Liquid foods are also very important – think about what you would grab if you were feeling like you were getting a sore throat. Herbal teas with honey, bone broth, coconut water and lemon water can be wonderful foods to have during this period. Elderberry tea or a syrup to nourish a sore throat can also be used. Alternatively, foods that grow on trees like apples and pears can be extremely clearing for the throat chakra. This is because these fruits will not fall from the tree until they are ready, symbolizing authenticity.
Affirmation: “I am able to express myself clearly and truthfully. My voice is always heard. I communicate with ease and am able to speak up for myself and others. I speak with integrity, clarity and love.”
Other healing actions to take:
- Sing or hum! You don’t have to do this in front of others. The shower and car are great places. Even the smallest of vibrations can help to move a blocked throat chakra.
- If you cannot communicate your feelings aloud, write them down. Clear all of the stagnant energy that’s been stuck in there. Cry to move the emotions.
- Bring more blue into your space! Wear blue clothes, buy blue flowers. Cornflowers, Iris’s or Hydrangeas are always lovely.
- Meditate on the color blue, seeing a beautiful blue crystal right in the middle of your throat. Imagine it shimmer and shine.
- Go to a sound healing. You can go to a drum circle or a Tibetan sound healing. A quick Google search in your city will yield plentiful results!
- Drink teas like peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon and elderberry. Of course, these teas can have contraindications so please check with your medical professional to make sure it’s the right choice for you.
- Be an active listener. Try to lean into conversations. Stop trying to think of what you will say when the person stops talking.
- Spend time in silence. Rest your throat chakra for a bit. This can be great for people who simply talk too much!
- Get a neck massage.
What does a balanced throat chakra look like? You speak your truth with grace and ease. You spend equal times listening and speaking. You are a conscious speaker and really consider the weight of your words. You use your words to uplift others. You have a pleasant speaking voice. When speaking, others naturally listen because you speak the truth. You are able to express your “higher voice self”. You actively discourage gossiping and lying. Emotional honesty is the name of the game. People like to hear your opinion because you speak with kindness and tact. You are able to express your needs clearly, which improves the quality of your relationships. Good communication flows through you, and all of your relationships (personal and professional) flow as a result.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.