Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centers through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the heart chakra!
Name: Anahata – Heart Chakra
Physical Location: Six inches above the belly button within your diaphragm
Function: Rules your perception of love and compassion. Governs your ability to give and receive love from others. Highly responsive to emotions. The heart chakra is truly unmatched in terms of intrinsic power.
Parts of the body: Located in the cardiac plexus, ruling over the heart and lungs. Associated with the thymus gland.
Emotions: Love, Compassion, Empathy, Emotional Growth and Power
Weakness in the Heart Chakra looks like: You have a hard time connecting to yourself and others. You feel like you are not getting the love you deserve. People have called you stingy. You are not comfortable expressing love towards others. There may be a history of high blood pressure, passiveness, asthma, chest pain or breathing problems. It is difficult for you to empathize with others. You take more than you give and are always looking to get ahead. You turn a blind eye to those around you in need. When you are angry, you feel a tightness in your chest. Alternatively, you may give SO much to others that you are constantly overextending yourself. You have a hard time administering self-care and might ignore your own needs. It’s possible that you are dwelling on a past relationship and are unable to move on. It is difficult for you to understand your own emotions OR you may have VERY extreme emotional outbursts.
- Am I compassionate towards myself?
- Am I compassionate towards others?
- Am I able to give love freely?
- Do I struggle with receiving love?
- What do I do if someone compliments me?
- Am I holding onto past grudges?
- How do I treat the people I claim to love?
- Do I love myself just the way I am?
- Do I love others just the way they are?
- Am I empathetic?
- Are there conditions on my love? If so, what are they?
- When I think of the collective whole of humanity, what words come to mind?
- Am I comfortable giving?
Foods to nourish you: The colour of the heart chakra is a beautiful green. It’s easy to make the leap into thinking all about green foods. Eat greens. Lots of them! You can great a green matcha smoothie with mint, cucumber, avocado and kiwi. Think of green vegetables like kale, brussels sprouts, spinach, kale, peas, asparagus, broccoli and zucchini. Green fruits like grapes, cucumbers, apples, limes, guava and kiwi can also assist. Sip green tea throughout the day and experiment with superfoods like barley, spirulina, chlorella and heart-opening matcha. Cacao is always a wonderful heart opener (even though it’s not green). I find soup in it’s comforting glory can be a great connector and heart-opener. Alternatively, there are SO many herbs to play with – thyme, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, basil and sage.
Affirmation: “I am fully open to giving and receiving love. I forgive myself and others. I treat myself with compassion and I treat others equally as well. My open heart chakra is powerful and strong. My life is filled with joy and gratitude. I am filled with love and light.”
Other healing actions to take:
- Go forest bathing. Surround yourself in a green space.
- Travel to a “green” place – think Bali, Maui and Peru. There is a reason why people are attracted to these places – the sheer amount of greenery makes the space healing for the soul.
- Connect with friends. Let people around you lo
- Establish clear personal boundaries. Don’t let people push you around. Every time you let someone cross your boundaries in an unhealthy way, you are not giving yourself the love and respect you need.
- Self care, self care, self care!
- Try to be patient and kind towards others. You never know what they are going through.
- Donate your time to a charity that means something to you.
- Hug more! Physical touch is a great way to let people around you know you care.
- Give yourself permission to feel. Emotions are clear indicators of your vibrational set point. When you feel good, you are on the right path.
- Be thankful! A daily practice of gratitude will literally shift your life.
- Do your shadow work. Journey within. Face your inner critic and all of those times when you felt unworthy of love.
- Meditate for 5-10 minutes by focusing on your heart chakra and allowing yourself to see a beautiful deep green pulsing light. Imagine it as an jewel or a swirl. Hold the vibration.
- Use essential oils like bergamot, rose or geranium.
- Do something extra romantic for your romantic partner – or yourself.
- Remember the Dalai Lama said: “If it can be remedied, why feel unhappy? If it can’t, why worry at all?” Accept the innate beauty that is YOU. There is nobody else on the planet that has your unique heart and ability to change the world for the better. Embrace it.
What does a balanced heart chakra look like? You go throughout your day radiating kindness and love. You give back to yourself as equally as you give to those around you. You care about your fellow man and take steps to eliminate their suffering – whether that’s volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating money. You love yourself and you practice healthy boundaries. You are able to recognize your emotions and you don’t judge yourself for feeling any particular way. You allow your heart to lead the way and you trust your decisions. You feel a sense of togetherness. You are open and authentic. You express love freely and without conditions on the other person.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.