Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centers through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the solar plexus!
Name: Solar Plexus Chakra – Manipura
Physical Location: Six inches above the belly button within your diaphragm
Function: Personal power, individual strength, humour, wit, self-control, optimism, happiness, life purpose, self-worth
Parts of the body: Stomach, liver, digestive system and your microbiome, metabolism, small intestine
Emotions: Power, Worth, Happiness, Control, Clarity, Independence, Self-assurance
Celestial Body: Sun
Weakness in the Solar Plexus Chakra looks like: You struggle with a clear sense of self. You have a hard time standing up for yourself and defending your opinions and ideas. Others perceive you as weak or timid. You have a hard time deciding what it is you truly desire. You often doubt your worthiness and others can easily sway you to opinions that may not be yours. You often feel ashamed of yourself or like you are not worthy of affection from others. You like to play the victim and genuinely feel powerless. You struggle with your digestive fire. You find it hard to assimilate (“digest”) the experiences that your life offers you. You have a sluggish digestion and a slow metabolism. Anxiety is felt in the stomach, and emotional upsets are linked to stomach upsets. You may alternate from diarrhea to constipation. You go through life not trusting yourself. You tend not to “trust your gut”. You are very critical of yourself and others. You believe others when they say things that do not resonate with yourself. You can be very manipulative to get what you desire. You may be a bully or alternatively you may feel insecure. You may have ulcers or gas and nausea. You have excessive weight around your stomach (the classic “pot belly”).
Am I courageous?
How can I be myself in my every moment?
How have I dimmed my light so that others may be more comfortable?
Am I being authentic to my daily needs?
What about myself makes me most proud?
How clearly am I able to express myself?
Do I take responsibility for my choices?
Can I stand up for what I believe in?
Do I let others push my boundaries?
Do I enjoy evolving?
When was the last time I trusted myself?
How do I handle poor feedback?
In what areas of my life do I overcompensate for my perceived shortcomings?
What makes me happy?
Do I have a sensitive stomach?
Am I aggressive towards others when I want something?
Foods to nourish you: Here we are thinking about yellow foods. Nourishing foods for the solar plexus are foods like corn, pineapple, squash, beans, peppers, banana, brown rice, oats, millet and amaranth. We also love warming spices for the solar plexus – turmeric and ginger. Also consider adding ample amounts of sunflower seeds and chamomile tea throughout your day.
Affirmation: “I am enough. I do enough. I stand in my power. I am proud of myself. I cultivate skills that I’m proud of. I express my identity without imposing my will on others. I am proud to be me. I live with integrity. I love being my unique self. I shine my light clearly.”
Other healing actions to take:
- Dress sharp. Put on your favourite outfit and go out and rock the day.
- Stand tall! No more slouching. Pay close attention to who is around to make you want to curl up in a little ball.
- Speak up for yourself when needed. Don’t always assume that others are right. Trust your gut.
- Wear yellow. It’s nice to see mustard making a fashion resurgence.
- Imagine a bright yellow ball hovering around your solar plexus.
- Seek out new experiences where you can grow your skills and grow your sense of confidence.
- Switch up your daily routine. Removing yourself from your comfort zone will show you that you are in fact able to handle growth in a productive way.
- Meditate! This will encourage your own healing energy to circulate within the body.
- Spend more time in the sun. It’s hard to do in the Calgary winters, but oh so important.
- Cultivate aspects of your “sunny” personality.
- Sit around a fire! This can be as simple as a fireplace or as lovely as a bonfire with friends. Light candles. Bring that element of warmth into your house.
- Use essential oils juniper, lemon and cardamom.
- Surround yourself with yellow flowers. Dandelion, daffodils and honeysuckles are all great options.
- Invite your fear to reveal itself to you and examine it with love.
- Strengthen your core! I always find Pilates excellent for this.
- Set a fitness goal and achieve it.
- Watch funny videos, go out with friends who give you the giggles. Give yourself permission to enjoy your life!
What does a balanced solar plexus look like? You know, love, and respect yourself. You act with confidence and ease but are still humble and balanced. You are able to set boundaries with others and recognize when your boundaries are being crossed. You do this with love and are not threatened or aggressive when others question you. You judge yourself fairly but without criticism. You are respectful of your needs. You love to smile, and others like to be around you. You are happy and bright and you love to uplift others. You are able to digest food – and life – perfectly and with ease. You feel energized, empowered and in alignment with life.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.