Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centers through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the sacral chakra.
Name: Sacral Chakra – Svadhistana
Physical Location: 3 inches below the navel, abdomen, genital area (especially ovaries and testicles)
Function: Creativity, Sexuality, Joy, Manifestation Juice
Parts of the body: Pelvis, genitals/reproductive System, urinary tract and bladder, kidneys, lumbar spine, lower abdomen, spleen, circulatory systems of the body like blood flow and urine flow
Emotions: Intimacy, Creativity, Sexuality, Pleasures, Fluidity
Celestial Body: Venus
Weakness in the Sacral Chakra looks like: You feel a deep sense of fear when thinking of intimacy. You believe you are somehow not able to explore your sexuality fully. You have problems starting or finishing creative ventures. You believe you generally are “bad” at creative ventures. You may have reproductive issues or fear your body. You may suffer from frequent dehydration and its subsequent symptoms. You have a hard time connecting with your sexual body. You have a hard time convincing yourself to “play” and may consider play unnecessary to a healthy and fulfilled life.
- In what ways can I play throughout my day?
- In what areas of my life am I creative?
- Can I easily manifest my desires?
- What brings me pleasure?
- On a scale of 1-10, how authentic am I to what I really need in any given moment?
- Am I sexually fulfilled?
- Do I feel able to express my sexuality on a daily basis?
- Do I have any “hang-ups” about sex?
- On a scale of 1-10, how able am I to “go with the flow”?
- Do I let myself enjoy and take pleasure in the small things?
- Can I go with the ebb and flow of life?
- Do I feel sexy?
Foods to nourish you: Fish rich in omega 3’s – wild caught salmon and ocean trout. Remember that the sacral chakra is a very “watery” chakra, so consider seafood options here. Nuts, flax, sesame, hemp, pumpkin. Sensual foods like pomegranate and coconut (consider the process of opening these fruits naturally). Orange foods such as oranges, carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots, peaches, mangos and pumpkin. Any food that you can eat in a sensual, playful way. Think chocolate fondue, a lovely organic box of wine, strawberries dipped in white chocolate, etc
Affirmation: “ I love to be alive and I take pleasure in the day to day art of living. I am a sensual being and I am filled with creative potential. My senses are activated, aware and connected. I love to be here and have fun. I embrace who I am and lovingly and fully bring myself into each area of my life.”
Other healing actions to take:
- Wear orange or surround yourself in orange.
- Slice an orange and add some cinnamon to a pot. Cook over low heat to release the scent.
- Swim in a natural water source or take a bath with bubble bath, soft candles and a few drops of a citrus essential oil.
- Indulge in a fun activity just for the sake of doing that fun activity! Examples include drawing, painting, writing or colouring.
- Have long, drawn-out sex.
- Dance! The sacral chakra loves this freeing movement.
- Go for a massage. This can help move stagnant energy throughout the body.
- Work on sexual or emotional blockages with a trusted counsellor or psychologist.
- Do something spontaneous. Travel to another city on a last minute-whim, take yourself to a movie you’d never see, etc.
- Meditate on the colour orange. Imagine a huge orange ball over your lower abdomen. Allow it to grow and pulse until it fills the whole room.
- Chant “Vam”.
What does a balanced sacral chakra look like? You wake up with a healthy reserve of energy and are able to go throughout your day without it faltering. You feel inspired and creative and you easily employ out of the box strategies. You love your body and feel sensual in your skin. You urinate frequently and are hydrated. You have tremendous respect for your own body. You feel comfortable in your skin. You love to explore sexually, but are also able to create and maintain healthy boundaries. You place high value on your individual needs and requirements. You love to have fun. You have a healthy self-care practice. You have a thriving libido. Your blood sugar levels are stable.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.