Welcome to my chakra series! Over the next few months, we will be diving in to each of the separate chakra points and discussing how to nourish these powerful energy centrs through food and mindful action. This is such an important concept and I often see people in my practice who have deep chakra dysfunctions, which can spiral underlying health issues even further. Many of us have been taught to ignore the deep connection between our spiritual bodies and our physical ailments. I believe that this leaves us vulnerable to lack of true nourishment. I can pinpoint such weaknesses in my clients and we often directly or indirectly work on them through food, but I’m here to share with you simple tips and powerful foods to activate each chakra point. Let’s dive in to the root chakra.
Name: Root Chakra/Muladhara – “root place”, “support”
Physical Location: Base of the spine
Activating Sound: Lam
Function: Survival, grounding, family, history, elimination
Parts of the body: Hips, legs, lower back, anus. Can have connections to the elimination and skeletal systems as well as the adrenals.
Emotions: Fear, worthiness, security
Celestial Body: Saturn
Weakness in the Root Chakra looks like: You have weight problems, bowel problems, issues with elimination like boating or gas and occasionally suffer from hemorrhoids. You may have sciatica, leg or feet pain or skeletal issues. On an emotional level, you suffer from anxiety or irrational fears, lack of confidence and ability to make decisions. There may be a history of family dysfunction and feeling ungrounded. You find you are unable to make a choice or feel “safe” on this physical plane and you may have money issues. People have accused you of being flighty or always having your “head in the air”.
- Do I feel safe in my body?
- Do I have stamina to get through my day?
- Do I feel safe in my home?
- Am I in an environment where I can thrive?
- Are all of my survival needs met?
- What do I fear?
- Do I have a connection with the planet? If not, what can I do to strengthen it?
- Am I centered?
- Do I feel like I have a right to be here?
- Am I supported in material and non-material ways?
- Do I feel like I can accomplish what I want or am I constantly feeling thwarted?
Foods to nourish you: Protein! Red meat, chicken, eggs, beans and nuts. Also consider foods that come from “under ground” – potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnip, turnip, carrot, beetroot, onion, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Red foods like raspberries, beets, cranberries, tomatoes, strawberries and cranberries can help ground you. Any dishes related to family tradition.
Affirmation: “I am connected to everything that is around me and I feel very connected to the planet underneath me. I have a strong foundation and am secure and stable in my life on earth. I am grounded and therefore able to move with confidence. I am grounded. I am safe and supported.”
Other healing actions to take:
- Walk barefoot whenever you can! If you can’t do this because it’s Calgary (duh, winter!) you can use a grounding or weighted blanket to help anchor you during those frigid Calgary days.
- Wear red. Think red. Decorate with red. I like to envision myself in a red bubble that I gradually make larger and larger until it fills the whole room. It’s very helpful!
- Going out in nature whenever you can during all seasons.
- Do something kind for the planet. Plant a tree, pick up litter in your favorite park, give gratitude to the home that feeds and fuels you.
- Let go of items that no longer serve you in your home and space.
- If you don’t feel safe at home, take measures to ensure your security. Add an alarm system, move if you can, start a neighborhood watch, or advocate for safe spaces in your community.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as ylang-ylang, rosemary, sandalwood and myrrh.
- Be physically active. The root chakra governs our physical body so ANY movement is valuable. I always love when people do things they enjoy!
- Buy a red bouquet and display it prominently in your home. You can use red roses, red irises, angelica or shooting star flowers.
- Listen to classical music, tribal music or a drumming soundtrack.
What does a balanced root chakra look like?
You feel safe and secure in your daily life and in your ability to secure your future goals. You are assured and act with confidence but not cockiness. You trust yourself and have solid relationships with others in your life. You are able to meet your material needs. You have energy to accomplish your goals and you naturally care and pay attention to your body. You go outside a few times a week and you have a deep respect and awe for the planet. You are able to walk down the street in your home and neighbourhood without fear. Though the world can be tumultuous and scary at times, you find yourself envisioning the future with hope. You see solutions and abundance everywhere you look. You have great bowel movements and nourish yourself with the best foods available at least 80% of the time. You can exhibit control and discipline on your life and know that you have the ability to thrive. You know abundance is your birthright.
As your Certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant at Naturmend, I am committed to creating healthy communities. I believe in honouring the unique biochemical individuality of each person who walks through my door and in the amazing benefits of a whole food diet. A healthy body and balanced mind are the cornerstones of a happy existence.