Lentils are a source of vegetarian protein and can be spiced up a variety of ways to your tasting. Here is a recipe using lentils along with some warming spices, perfect for all seasons!
Here is what you will need:
- ½ cup yellow split moong bean
- ½ cup red split lentils
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil
- ½ tsp black mustard seed
- ½ tsp whole cumin
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 6 cloves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp crushed ginger
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed tomatoes
- Fresh lemon
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water
Approx. 8 servings
- Wash the yellow and red split lentils and put in a slow cooker (low heat) or pressure cooker along with 3 cups water.
- After the lentils have boiled, whisk the lentils into a smooth consistency, almost like a puree.
- In one sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons avocado oil or coconut oil. Add ½ tsp black mustard seed, ½ tsp whole cumin, 8-10 curry leaves and 6 cloves.
- Allow the mixture to heat in the separate saucepan and then add to the lentils.
- Next, add ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp coriander, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp crushed ginger, ½ tsp crushed garlic and 1 tbsp crushed tomatoes to the lentils as well.
- Allow all of the ingredients to come together by bringing the soup to a boil and allowing to simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- You may add salt and freshly squeezed lemon at this time to your desired taste.
- After the Daal is ready, dish out into your favorite serving bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve piping hot with or without your choice of grain (rice, quinoa, etc.) and enjoy!
Cooking at home is a great way to ensure that one eats whole foods and eats consistently well balanced and healthy meals. We want the foods that we eat to be optimal for our health; such as our digestion, hormones, pain management, nutritional requirements, weight management and so much more. Try incorporating new foods into your diet for optimal exposure to vitamins and minerals.
I hope you enjoy using this recipe with your family and friends! Contact us at Naturmend today to book in for your complimentary 15-minute consult.
To a healthier and happier you,
Dr. Nadia Mawji, ND
Dr. Nadia Mawji values her patients as individuals and only treats patients from a personalized perspective. Her commitment to her excellent research and clinical skillset is evident through the various advanced education that she has obtained and is qualified to perform as an addition to her Naturopathic Doctor license here in Alberta.