This smooth, rich tasting hummus comes to you with roasted root vegetables in a sea of chick peas and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Normally, I like my hummus sharp tasting with lots of raw garlic but I decided, for the sake of those always consuming my hummus, to switch things up a bit. Its pleasantly pinky-red thus when paired with the green of celery is a timely seasonal appetizer – great to bring to Christmas get togethers! Enjoy this recipe and happy holidays!
- Food processor
- Lemon juicer
- 1 large can of chick peas (20oz), drained (fluid from can saved and place aside)
- 3 cloves of raw garlic
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 1/4 or more of EVOO (depends on consistency you want)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 bulb of garlic roasted with a drizzle of EVOO and salt / pepper), cloves removed from casing before or after
- 2 large beets roasted till cooked (with EVOO and salt / pepper)
- 2 medium carrots roasted till cooked (with EVOO and salt / pepper)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and the consistency you desire for hummus is achieved.
- if you want the hummus to be smoother try adding some of the left over juice from the chick peas or more EVOO!
Dr. Sarah Kent is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor specializing in your health. She blends traditional knowledge with current scientific understanding to generate wellness within her patients. She has received specialized training in naturopathic sports medicine, applying the principles and tools of naturopathic care in treating athletes.