Winter is here, and that calls for soup soup soup.
Some of my favourite cookbooks are the Whitewater Cooks cookbooks, and I’ve adapted the recipes from there. I often substitute based on my food sensitivities and available ingredients, so my apologies to the chefs at Whitewater.
I will note that I use bone broth for all of my soups, adding to the nutritional, anti-inflammatory, hormone-health, gut health, and skin-health benefits. I make these recipes gluten-free, substitute the cheese for sheep’s milk cheese (better tolerated), and cut the time down to about 30 minutes. My kind of soup!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 5 cups bone broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 avocado, diced
- Manchego cheese, shredded or ribboned
- Tortilla chips (non-gmo, organic)
- Lime wedges
- Sauté the onions, garlic, and ½ cup of cilantro in olive oil. Transfer to a blender when the onions are translucent. Blend. Add a can of diced tomatoes to the blender. Blend again.
- Transfer the blended tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cilantro back into your soup pot. Add the bone broth to the soup pot, add the cumin, and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add the chicken just before taking the pot off the heat.
- Serve the soup in bowls, and squeeze ¼ lime into each bowl, add ¼ cup of cheese, add ¼-½ of diced avocado, sprinkle more cilantro, and crush a handful of tortilla chips into the bowl. Enjoy (it’s soooo good)!
Hi, I’m Dr. Jenny Schmidt-White. My practice focuses on family health and wellness, healthy aging for men and women and optimizing fertility & hormone function. I work with you, within realistic and sustainable parameters, to find the root cause of dysfunction in your body and address it.