5-ingredient applesauce, anyone?
For anyone that knows me, they know that apples sprinkled with cinnamon is one of my favourite snacks!
This applesauce is perfect to pair with nut or seed butters as well as a vanilla coconut ice cream (yum!!!). And it’s also allergy-friendly. NO GLUTEN, DAIRY or NUTS!
Let’s get started…
What you need:
- 3 pounds of apples (I like to mix them up: Granny smith, Gala, sometimes Red Delicious)
- ½ cup water (you may need more or less) Add as needed below.
- For the fall/winter seasons, I like to add 100% organic maple syrup (2 tablespoons) and fresh pure cinnamon in its powdered form (2-3 teaspoons; your preference)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice to bring it all together
What to do:
- Wash the apples.
- Peel the apples.
- Core the apples.
- Chop the apples (don’t worry about perfection here).
- Add all ingredients except the lemon juice into a saucepan and place over the stove at medium heat. Start with ¼ cup water, then you can add as you go. Stir every 5 minutes.
- You will notice the apples will start to break up into smaller pieces over the heat.
- This next step depends on what you enjoy. For a chunkier consistency, you can stir the apples against wall of the sauce pan to smooth out majority of the chunks with a cooking spatula. Or for a super smooth and velvety texture, add all ingredients into a heat resistant food processor! Blend until smooth.
- At this point you can add in the lemon juice (I don’t add in all of 1 tablespoon at once). Flavour to your taste buds. You can also add in more maple syrup if you wish. My favorite is to add more cinnamon!
- This makes about 5 to 6 cups, you can multiply the ingredients to make more!
- Serve chilled or hot.
If you are interested in seeing Dr. Nadia Mawji as a patient, please book an initial appointment with her online today or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information! Dr. Nadia Mawji also offer free 15 minute consults if you’d like to meet with her first before booking an initial appointment. Stay up to date with her Naturmend blog posts for more information on cutting edge treatments and research!
Dr. Nadia Mawji values her patients as individuals and only treats patients from a personalized perspective. Her commitment to her excellent research and clinical skillset is evident through the various advanced education that she has obtained and is qualified to perform as an addition to her Naturopathic Doctor license here in Alberta.