Funny Food – who knew Mr. Zucchini head was grain free?
- zucchini slices from a massive zucchini approximately 3/4 inch thick
- Spolumbo sausage – chicken cranberry (I find this has less spice and so more kid friendly)
- Sweet potato
- Onion, any type
Here’s how I prepared each part of Mr. Zucchini head:
- Zucchini wedges: covered both sides with extra virgin olive oil and Salt & pepper, grilled them for 5 min each, until done
- Spolumbo Sausage – I oven roasted about 6 sausages at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for ~ 50 min then finished them on the BBQ until done. I then sliced a few into thin wedges (for eyes & ears) and some into small lengthwise bits (for mouth) I like to roast the sausages before to help them cook because I try not to have the fats burst out of the sausage while cooking them as I feel this helps to keep the moisture in and hep the sausage tasting great over the next few days. I always cook in bulk.
- Onions – slice and cook with a tremendous amount of butter until caramelized to your liking.
- Sweet potato – peel, cube, bring to boil in pot with sufficient water. Cook until tender to pierce with a fork, drain most of the liquid, add butter, salt & pepper and mash.
- Assemble face as per picture and enjoy!
*Mr. Zucchini Head may also be paleo if you swap butter for coconut oil!
Dr. Sarah Kent is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor specializing in your health. She blends traditional knowledge with current scientific understanding to generate wellness within her patients. She has received specialized training in naturopathic sports medicine, applying the principles and tools of naturopathic care in treating athletes.