Beets! A great fall root vegetable that is an all-in-one kind of veggie: high in vitamin C, lutein, carotenoids, potassium, manganese, magnesium, and iron. You can’t go wrong with beets! The crisper mornings and nights have me thinking about nourishing soups and stews.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups beef stock (or beef bone broth!), or veggie stock if vegetarian
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb beef stewing meat (omit if vegetarian)
- 1 ½ cups shredded beets
- 2 cups diced beets
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 ½ cups diced potatoes
- 1 ½ cups savoy or green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- ¼ cup chopped dill (add this before serving)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- optional plain greek yoghurt (add when serving)
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the beef in oil in a large soup pot.
- Add 4 cups of stock, bay leaf, and allspice, and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add your myriad of chopped &/or shredded veggies and the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil again, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 Tbsp of yoghurt and a nice handful of dill can be added to individual bowls.
Hi, I’m Dr. Jenny Schmidt-White. My practice focuses on family health and wellness, healthy aging for men and women and optimizing fertility & hormone function. I work with you, within realistic and sustainable parameters, to find the root cause of dysfunction in your body and address it.