Long, beautiful sunny days are finally upon our bustling city and as always with them comes the magnetism towards fresh, colourful salads. I’m always telling my clients to make ‘rainbow’ salads; challenging them to achieve as many colours as possible on their plate. In the summer months this becomes even easier. Here is a salad recipe to try out. Hope you enjoy the little probiotic twist I’ve added!
This recipe is gluten free, vegan, raw, paleo and (as much as possible) organic, always non-gmo.
Summer Rainbow Salad
- Hemp hearts
- Red onion
- Organic Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Top with (or on the side)
- Sauerkraut (I really like the store bought garlic and dill kind)
Chop up the kale, bite size. Shred the carrots and beets. Finely chop the red onion. Throw everything together and add all other ingredients.
- Kale- Great source of b-vitamins (especially folate), calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Arugula – high in silicon, a beautifying mineral for hair and skin.
- Beets- Supports liver detoxification
- Carrots- Source of beta carotene for the skin.
- Hemp hearts – source of omega 3’s which aid in bringing down inflammation levels, as well a source of protein.
- Red onion- High in sulfur, aiding in detoxification and preventing cancer.
- Organic Olive oil- The fat is needed to help some of these precious vitamins become absorbed, as well it is anti inflammatory AND it will help to keep you satiated.
- Apple cider vinegar- increases your stomach acid, aiding in digestion. Also helps your liver function better which can contribute to better skin health.
- Sauerkraut- a special addition to aid in digestion. To say the least really.. in turn, amping up your probiotics can support the entire body; everything from your immune system to skin health to better detoxification.
Hope you enjoy!!
I am a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, CHN™ and have a transcript in Iridology from the Canadian Institute of Iridology. I achieved my diploma with honors in holistic nutrition at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition in Calgary, Alberta. My vast knowledge of supplementation has been acquired from working in naturopathic clinics, health food stores and ongoing education through webinars, books and podcasts. It is important to me to have up to date information on the newest nutritional research and popular diets. I have also completed my 200hr yoga teacher training in Brazil in 2013 with Define Yoga.