Here are 10 foods I keep on every shopping list.
1. Lemons – Squeeze 1/2 lemon in a glass of water first thing in the morning for liver detoxification, increase stomach enzymes and to help clear the skin. Also a great addition to salad dressings!
2. Flax seed and/or chia seeds- Ground, they are high in omega 3 fatty acids, high in fiber and various minerals. Chia is a great snack or breakfast option. Take 2 tbsp of ground flax everyday in water to benefit the digestive tract and clear the skin.
3. Coconut oil- SO MANY BENEFITS! Use it to cook with, to eat and to lather your body with. You can do anything with it! Helps you lose weight, keeps you satisfied for longer periods of time and can be used on rashes or fungal infections. It even benefits your immune system.
4. Carrots- this may seem silly to most people however I also keep carrots on hand for when I’m craving something sweet or on the run. You can eat carrots while walking to work without hassle and they keep really well unrefrigerated. They are sweet enough for sugar cravings plus high in fiber so they fill you up. You will for sure find carrots in my purse most days.
5. Almond Butter- You can also just make your own almond butter if you have a food processor. It’s definitely something I keep on hand all the time for sweet cravings or to use as a dip. There is something about almond butter that is irreplaceable, I find it extremely comforting.
6. Coconut Chips- As you can probably tell I’m Cu-Cu for coconut. The benefits are endless and it keeps me from eating candy and sweets after meals. These coconut chips can be found at Naturmend and are a great snack substitute for popcorn, chips and candy. They are crunchy and kinda sweet, so they solve most of my cravings.
7. Cauliflower- If I don’t have cauliflower in my fridge there is something wrong. Cauliflower can be made into anything- dips, wraps, pizza dough, chicken-less chicken wings, or even rice. It is super filling and can take on any flavor you want it to. It is super easy to bake and play with.
8. Avocado- this is a no brainer. High in good quality fats avocado keeps you fuller longer. You can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be mixed with just about anything.
9. Cinnamon– The best cinnamon to get is from Silk Road spice company in Inglewood. The flavor is unbelieveable. I use this instead of sweetening things. For instance, in my chia breakfast I add coconut oil, coconut chips, almond milk, nuts and loads of cinnamon. The cinnamon adds so much flavor that I no longer need any type of sweetener. Furthermore you can add it to your ground coffee for flavor and actually works to balance your blood sugar levels.
10. Good quality green tea- There is nothing like a delicious cup of green tea to get you rolling first thing in the morning or a pick me up in the afternoon. Green tea is great for helping you lose weight as well as it increases your metabolism. It also has cancer fighting benefits and antioxidant support.
I am a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, CHN™ and have a transcript in Iridology from the Canadian Institute of Iridology. I achieved my diploma with honors in holistic nutrition at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition in Calgary, Alberta. My vast knowledge of supplementation has been acquired from working in naturopathic clinics, health food stores and ongoing education through webinars, books and podcasts. It is important to me to have up to date information on the newest nutritional research and popular diets. I have also completed my 200hr yoga teacher training in Brazil in 2013 with Define Yoga.